[Avodah] Self-righteous hypocrites, who affect piety

Yitzchok Levine Larry.Levine at stevens.edu
Wed Dec 3 05:43:18 PST 2008

The following is from the new translation of
RSRH's commentary on Bereishis 30: 27 - 30

27 Lavan said to him: Would that I found favor in
your eyes, for I have a presentiment that God has blessed me for your sake.

28 Then he said: Set your wage from me and I will gladly give it.

29 [Ya’akov] said to him: You know very well how
I have served you and what your property has become with me.

30 For the little that you had before I came
increased tremendously because God blessed you
according to my endeavor. And now, when will I,
as well, provide for my household?

27–30 Lavan would very much like to retain Ya’akov’s services, preferably for
no other payment except his keep, as heretofore. Hence, he begins to
speak in the manner that is typical of self-righteous hypocrites, who
affect piety. He does not admit that he would like to keep Ya’akov because
of the diligent services he has rendered. He knows that such actual
things have to be paid for, and that he who praises them will pay a
high price. For this reason he affects extreme piety (just as, today, those
who have cast off all genuine piety turn to superstition, imagining that
nechush, superstitious belief in omens, is tantamount to piety). Lavan says
to Ya’akov: I don’t like to let you go. There is no real reason for it, but
I have a nechush (presentiment): It seems to me that “'Hashem” Whom you serve,
has blessed me for your sake, because you are such a pious man. I
would not like to see such a pious man leave me.

Lavan hopes that the pious man will be swayed by the flattery and
will agree to stay on. But when Ya’akov makes no reply, Lavan realizes
that he must also offer a material reward. “You name your wage,” he
says, “and I will gladly pay it.”

Thereupon Ya’akov replies: “You know very well — there is no need
for presentiments — how I have served you and how I have contributed
to your prosperity. You do not have to surmise that God has blessed
you beglali; you know that He has blessed you liragli, according to my
ways, according to the efficiency with which I have employed my hands
and feet in your service. It is not on account of my piety that God has
blessed you, but on account of my diligence. And now, don’t you think
the time has come that I should use some of this same diligence for
building up my own household?”