[Avodah] Harag, ratzach, heimis

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Dec 2 13:42:22 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 02:22:05PM -0500, Zev Sero wrote:
:>4- Intentional but legal killing -- the deceased didn't go to the ir
:>   [miklat]
:>5- Intentional mandatory killing -- misas beis din, milkhamah, haba
:>   lehargekha...

: What's the difference between these two?
: How is guilt assignable when a go'el hadam kills the manslaughterer?
: "Veratzach goel hadam et harotzeach" is a mitzvah.  And yet it's called
: retzicha.

Geirushin is also a mitzvah. It doesn't make it a chiyuv. Rather, if
nebich a marriage /must/ be dissolved, this is how to do it. A mitzvah
qiyumit.

IOW, the go'el has a license, not a chiyuv. Is he better off using the
license (uvi'arta hara'ah miqirbekha) or is he better off not taking
revenge?

Given the amount of effort we put into making sure the killer gets to
the ir miklat before being caught (Makkos 10b discusses putting up signs
at every crossroads and sending rabbanim with him to intervene verbally
with the go'el), I assumed the latter.

I called that "some guilt", with a little equivication.

PS: Good signature quote (below) when responding to someone who noted
my typos. ("Thinkos", as I believe RZS calls them when the error was in
word retrieval, not typing).

--
Micha Berger             A person must be very patient
micha at aishdas.org        even with himself.