[Avodah] Electricity on Shabbas and Yom Tov, Was Pikuach Nefesh

Allen Gerstl acgerstl at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 18 04:45:39 PST 2008

On November 16, 2008R "kennethgmiller at juno.com" <kennethgmiller at juno.com>Wrote: Subject: Re: [Avodah] pikuach nefesh>I would like to remind the chevra that according to my understanding, RSZA, Rav >Moshe Heinemann, and others, hold that speaking into a telephone on Shabbos is >"only" a d'rabanan, because the electricity's main function is something other >than heat or light. According to this shita, such actions are mutar on Shabbos >even for needs which are less than a full-blown Pikuach Nefesh, and certainly so >on Yom Tov. andOn Sun, 16 Nov 2008 09:38:04 -0500R' Zev Sero <zev at sero.name>Wrote: Subject: Re: [Avodah] pikuach nefesh >Rich, Joel wrote:>> Actually I was thinking about karov lmalchut as a starting point.>Where in hilchot shabbat/yomtov do we find any kind of heter for karov>lemalchut? ... >But the heter of a double-derabbanan for tzorchei tzibbur is directly>in hilchot shabbat/yomtov, so that seems like a straightforward place>to look for a heter in this case. If he had a telephone from Mechon>Tzomet we wouldn't even be talking about this; but I assume he doesn't. I would appreciate if I could be given citations to the references to: RSZA, Rav Moshe Heinemann, or others regarding electricity on Shabbas and Yom Tov.  KTEliyahu