[Avodah] Shofar Pitch

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Oct 30 14:01:48 PDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 04:50:51PM -0400, Michael Kopinsky wrote:
: I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing.  You seem to be talking
: about changing the number of kolos, or the length of the kolos.  RZF does
: not change those, but only the pitch during the kol - he starts with the low
: note, goes to the harmonic, and goes back to the low note.

: In RZF's case, I don't think it's a brisker thing.  The way I heard it, it's
: just that he thinks that sounds more like a shever or crying than straight
: notes without the pitch modulation.

Then we could be talking about different things. The Brisker thing is
one kol that goes up at the end, followed with almost no break by a
single beat of a kol at the original pitch. So it can sound like
down-up-down.

Micha Berger             None of us will leave this place alive.
micha at aishdas.org        All that is left to us is
http://www.aishdas.org   to be as human as possible while we are here.
Fax: (270) 514-1507            - unknown MD, while a Nazi prisoner