[Avodah] Shofar Pitch

Michael Kopinsky mkopinsky at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 13:50:51 PDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 1:42 PM, Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 1:04pm EDT, R Michael Kopinsky wrote to
> Areivim:
> : On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 11:25am, Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:
> :> A question for Avodah -- is the sound supposed to be level, or are
> :> teqi'os and shevarim supposed to go up in pitch at the end?
>
> : Or, in the case of shevarim, should they go up in pitch in the middle and
> : back down at the end, as the baal tekiah in KBY (R' Zechariah Frankel)
> does?
>
> This is a Brisker thing. The problem is a machloqes Rashi and Tosafos
> over the definition of a shevarim.

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing.  You seem to be talking
about changing the number of kolos, or the length of the kolos.  RZF does
not change those, but only the pitch during the kol - he starts with the low
note, goes to the harmonic, and goes back to the low note.

In RZF's case, I don't think it's a brisker thing.  The way I heard it, it's
just that he thinks that sounds more like a shever or crying than straight
notes without the pitch modulation.

KT,
Michael