[Avodah] Kashrus Trains One's Self-Control

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Fri Oct 24 03:42:08 PDT 2008

"Rabbis Berkovits and Isidore Epstein say similarly, saying that
kashrut trains one in self-control."

Unfortunately, the facts do not support the above statement. There are
many, many, many overweight individuals who are frum and stringently
follow the laws of Kashrus.
Personally, I've known many O. rabbis who were more than 50 pounds
overweight and had absolutely no self-control in their eating. One,
who will remain nameless,
suffered so many health issues because he was morbidly obese. He ended
up in a wheelchair before he was 60. Would that it were true that
kashrus trained one in
self-control!  I'm reminded of several very frum people I know who
were virtual chain smokers. However, as soon as Shabbos or Yom Tov
arrived, they put down the
cigarettes and didn't smoke until after Shabbos or Yom Tov. I call
that "compartmentalized control."  We also have the concept of menuval
birshus haTorah which
has discarded the concept of prishus.

Kol tuv.
ri