[Avodah] Bereshis From Aleph to Sav

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Sat Oct 18 18:21:05 PDT 2008

It is said that God's first creation were the Hebrew letters of the
language itself. From what is this idea derived? This creation is
alluded to in the words "Bereshis bara Elokim" (In the beginning
of God's creating) followed in the Hebrew by the untranslatable
word "es" (aleph, saf). This word alludes to all the letters of the
Hebrew alphabet, from the first letter (aleph) to the last (saf).
Allegorically, then, the first phrase in the Torah can be read: "In
the beginning, God created language" (followed by the rest of
creation).

Chassidic Insight
There is a lesson to be learned from the fact that God’s
spirit was present even in the void and darkness of primal
reality. Even when prospects seem bleak, the spirit
of messianic optimism is there; all we have to do is reveal
it. How do we do this? "Vay'hi or" "And there was light!" By
illuminating the world with the light of Torah.

rw