[Avodah] Free Will vs. Physics

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Oct 10 10:59:54 PDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 12:35:10PM +0000, kennethgmiller at juno.com wrote:
: R' Micha Berger asked:
:> The first problem is just defining Free Will. What is
:> something that is neither deterministic, reducing people
:> to robots, and not random like a set of dice? We're
:> claiming some middle ground. RMKoppel proves that there
:> are things that are neither describable in algorithms
: > nor random, but what kind of such "middle ground" do we
: > mean in this case? Can we narrow it down enough to know
: > what it is we're trying to prove?

: I think your problem (like in so many other physics questions) lies
: in your choice of the frame of reference. You're only looking at the
: physical world.

Then I really wasn't clear, or perhaps you were misled by the inherited
subject line.

There is nothing in my post about physics, or about whether free will is
possible. My intended topic was just to define the term.

: My approach to this problem is to consider the metaphysical world -- in
: which the neshama resides -- as part of this equation. The neshama makes
: a decision, and interfaces with the physical world via the brain...

I would say the neshamah is the beam of light, and the brain is where
the beam hits the "screen" of olam hazeh and matter.

: one looks only at the physical world, the brain activity *appears*
: to be random. (Random activity on a quantum level does not go against
: deterministic physics.) But in the larger picture, its not really random,
: because it was the causal result of a decision made in another part of
: the system.

Random activity on a quantum level DOES go against a deterministic
physics. Maybe one can say that it's statistically deterministic -- the
odds have to be met, but no one outcomes does.

To explain (hopefully): The law of large numbers means that if you
flip a coin enough times, you're much much more likely to get closer
to 50:50 heads vs tails than a more lopsided distribution. Therefore,
in the large scale, predictability is rarely violated. But it could be.

In fact, because the brain's neural network is basically a system for
magnifying small effects (the eye can see as few as 5 or 6 photons!),
that averaging may not apply. So, which of the coins end up heads can
have macroscopic consequences. IOW, quantum randomnes could change things
on the scale of human behavior.

But you would have to fit the soul-matter relationship into something
in which "half of the coins or so end up heads". It may only be random
to physics, but the probabilities aren't being defied. (Otherwise it
wouldn't look like that kind of random, and we would be defying physics.)

: My problem is not with the determinism of brain neurons, but with the
: determinism of the neshama's decision-making process.

: Consider this: A one-minute-old infant was not crying, and now
: starts to cry. This is not the result of any decision he made, but is
: a reflexive/instinctive reaction to certain influences. Now consider a
: 30-year-old, deciding to get out of bed. This is a very conscious choice,
: based on many varied factors. Somewhere between these two events lies
: the very first time he exercised his free will.

Not a problem according to REED. The nequdas habechirah is a battlefront
that emerges when two desires/goals are in conflict. It is not engaged
in every decision.

The infant could weel have bechirah chafshi in potentia, but since no
decision raises to the level of a conflict that draws conscious attention,
it isn't used in practice. It is only as notions of higher goals and
delayed gratification are taught to the infant that such decisions
come up.

Nothing changes in the structure of the baby's brain or soul aside from
learning, developing a nascent yeitzer hatov. That said, I wish to reask
the question in a different way. (In another 41 lines or so.)