[Avodah] Aftura

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Wed Oct 8 05:41:32 PDT 2008

R' Jonathan Baker asked:

> What is "aftura"?
> SA OH 328:28 talks about lancing and bandaging a boil on
> Shabbos. MB sk 90 refers to a related procedure called "an
> aftura on the arm", which is ...
> This comes from the Magen Avraham.  M"A discusses the
> "aftura in the arm" as a ...

For these sort of questions, I find Volume Three of the Shmiras Shabbos K'Hilchasa to be very helpful. Among its features is a reversed index of his sources. In other words, you look up a source in Shulchan Aruch, and it tells you where that source appears in the footnotes to the SSK. In this way, you can probably figure out what an aftura is, but more importantly, you can see how poskim applied that halacha to more modern situations.

Here is what that reverse index mentions about SA OH 328:28. All citations of the format "aa:bb" refer to the chapter and footnote number in the SSK; "Mavo" refers to the Introduction To Hilchos Shabbos which is in SSK Volume 3.

SIMAN 328
Mechaber 28 - 2:18; 34:7; 35:26; Mavo 1:52
Magen Avraham 32 - 35:35
MB 88 - 30:47; 34:7,35; 35:35,41,101; 38:71
MB 89 - 35:28
MB 90 25:9; 35:26,36,37,38,51,79,84; Mavo 1:52
Shaar Hatziun 63 - 35:42
Shaar Hatziun 65 - 25:9; Mavo 1:52
Shaar Hatziun 67 - 35:29,79
Beur Halacha "Keday" - 20:18; 35:27

The MB you cited appears at least 9 times in the SSK. I hope this helps!

I also hope that I didn't make any typos. GCT!

Akiva Miller