[Avodah] Is the term ‘He died before his time’ correct?

Daniel Eidensohn yadmoshe at 012.net.il
Wed Oct 8 05:30:05 PDT 2008

R' Avroham Yakov wrote:
>> I am sure all of us have heard the term, ‘He/she died before his/her
>> time’, most often used when a young person  r’l dies.
>>
>> But is such a term hashkofically correct?  If Ha-Shem decides to take
>> someone, can that be ‘before their time’?
Chagiga(4b): R. Joseph, when he came to the [following] verse, wept: But
there is that is swept away without judgment.27 [He said]:28 Is there
anyone who passes away before one's [allotted] time?29 — Yes, as in the
story [heard] by R. Bibi b. Abaye,30 who was frequently visited by the
Angel of death. [Once] the latter said to his messenger: Go, bring me
Miriam, the women's hairdresser!31 He went and brought him Miriam, the
children's nurse. Said he to him:32 I told thee Miriam, the women's
hairdresser. He answered: If so, I will take her back. Said he to him:
Since thou hast brought her, let her be added.33 But how were you able
to get her?34 She was holding a shovel in her hand and was heating and
raking1 the oven. She took it and put it on her foot and burnt herself;
thus her luck was impaired and I brought her. Said R. Bibi b. Abaye to
him2 : Have ye3 permission to act thus? He answered him: Is it not
written: ‘There is that is swept away without judgment’? He countered:
But behold it is written: One generation passeth away, and another
generation cometh!4 He replied: I have charge of them5 till they have
completed the generation,6 and then I hand them over to Dumah!7 He
[then] asked him: But after all, what do you do with her years?8 He
replied: If there be a Rabbinic scholar who overlooks his hurt, I shall
give them to him in her stead.9