[Avodah] Is the term ‘He died before his time’ correct?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Oct 7 14:36:54 PDT 2008

Avroham Yakov wrote:
> I am sure all of us have heard the term, ‘He/she died before his/her
> time’, most often used when a young person  r’l dies.
>
> But is such a term hashkofically correct?  If Ha-Shem decides to take
> someone, can that be ‘before their time’?

"Mi vekitzo, umi lo vekitzo".  Evidently it is possible to die "lo
vekitzo".

I find it odd, though, when a person dies in his 70s or even 80s, and
people announce his death as "untimely".  Sad, yes; shocking, even, if
he was previously in good health.  But how is it untimely?  Even if his
parents lived to 100, and he reasonably expected to do likewise, it
still seems odd.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.