[Avodah] Challah

Harry Weiss hjweiss at panix.com
Mon Nov 10 11:27:26 PST 2008

> From: Tamar Weissman <tamarweissman at yahoo.com>
> And now, hypothetically speaking, if I can't access the dough until the bread is baked and it's been made with under 4 lbs of flour (separate without a bracha), how do I take challah?

2 answers, one halachic one practical.

If you  cannot (or did not) take Challah in the dough status you can take
it from the baked product.  That is also what you do when there is a
Jewish baker that does not take Challah.  (Normally that would be a
rarety that they would have hashgacha,  but there is one bakery in the SF
Bay area that one is told to separate Challah)

If there was a big enough hypothetical bread machine, one could open the
cover in the final rising stage and take out a piece for Challah.

Harry J. Weiss
hjweiss at panix.com