[Avodah] Ne'ilah

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Mon Oct 27 12:41:46 PDT 2008

Bim'hilatkhem, I am only now catching up with past Avodah digests.

On Monday, 13. October 2008 [meaning, aeons ago in internet eras] R'nTK wrote:
> In a message dated 10/12/2008, basserh at queensu.ca writes:
> >> btw-- why should we call it "neila"-- we asked for  "psicha"-- pesach
> >> lanu shaar.

R'nTK:
> This answer may be a little too pat, but -- the gates are closing, that's
> why it's called neila!  And we're like the customer who shows up at closing
>   time and says, "Wait, wait, can't you stay open just a few more
>  minutes?!"

Eh, the name Ne'ilah derives from the fact that it is the closing prayer
service of the fast days (not only YK, but any real ta'anit tzibbur, such as
during a drought). The text "pta'h lanu sha'ar be'eit ne'ilat sha'ar ki fanah
yom" is more likely of younger origin and a play on the name of ne'ilah,
rather than that the prayer is named after the piyut.

Kol tuv, good winter,
--
Arie Folger
http://ariefolger.wordpress.com