[Avodah] National vs Individual

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Mar 25 19:34:50 PDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 02:18:18PM +0200, Michael Makovi wrote:
: Some time ago, we had a thread on to what extent Jewish identity is
: communal/national versus individual. I chose to place the individual
: lower than many others did, but I think everyone can agree, however,
: that national identity is a very important component, regardless of
: where it lies on the gradient.

My position was actually that both are true. I repeated RYBS's thesis
in "Community" that there is a basic dialectic: Community exists to
insure that the individuals within it have their needs met. However,
it is equally true that the individual's highest calling is to serve
the community.

It is equally true that a community is a set of individuals, and that an
individual could be viewed as part of a community. It's a question of
which is viewed as primary and which is derived. And both perspectives
are true. I used the buzzwords of "mamlekhes kohanim -- a kingdom of
individual priests" and "goy qadosh - a nation that is holy as a unit".

I suggested that this was the difference between the beris at Har Sinai,
which was between HQBH and a set of individuals determined to work for a
common cause, and the beris at Arvos Moav, between Hashem and the nation
as a corporate entity, obligating the people to serve their parts in
the greater whole.

: Hashem created us as davka not a nation, not a mass of individuals -
: "am zu yatzarti li". Any individual can be a holy tzadik. But to
: create an entire nation that as one united whole that is tzodek, that
: is an entirely different matter. And even if one does not want to go
: with Rav Kook and REB on the nation, one can just as well go with Rav
: Hirsch on the kehilla...

And yet, as I just posted, RSRH's kehillah was a group of individuals
who worked to ennoble themselves. The kehillah was defined as the
derived value.

: The Lubavitcher Rebbe said a person who loves G-d but not the Jewish
: people, his love will not last. But one who loves the Jewish people
: but not G-d - nurture his love for his people and it will grow to
: encompass G-d too.
:
: And of course, with Rut, "your people will be my people" came before
: "your G-d will be my G-d"...

For that matter, the doxology of Shema isn't "H' E-lokeinu H' echad"
but "_Shema_Yisrael_ HEH"E".

But the question isn't A vs B but which is the primary value and which
is the derived one -- or perhaps both.