[Avodah] Tinok sheNishba today

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Mar 25 18:05:10 PDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 03:28pm IST, R Michael Makovi wrote (on the
thread "R' Angel & Geirus Redux"):
: Well, as I said, I've seen numerous statements that a nonreligious Jew
: today is a tinok she'nishba/shogeg, and bears no guilt for what he
: does, b'klal...

I have as well. However, the fact that many repeat something doesn't
make it real. C.f. RSBA's ever-growing list of phantom maamarei chazal.

However, something hit me on the bus-ride home from work...

Teshuvos discuss the knowledge of Torah. Sermons discuss culpability
for not choosing Torah.

As I wrote recently, someone who learns Torah in a context where Torah
miSinai is treated as a myth isn't going to gain much emunah from that
knowledge. Even worse, he has much to unlearn.

So, perhaps they are two distinct things. What I've been alling TsN
would qualify as oneis. Whereas a true TsN is ignorant - a variant of
shogeig.

Micha Berger             In the days of our sages, man didn't sin unless
micha at aishdas.org        he was overcome with a spirit of foolishness.
http://www.aishdas.org   Today, we don't do a mitzvah unless we receive
Fax: (270) 514-1507      a spirit of purity.      - Rabbi Israel Salanter