[Avodah] schechtworthy

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Mar 25 02:54:58 PDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 09:34:35PM -0600, Daniel Israel wrote:
: I've been assuming we're talking about someone who holds that, e.g., TVs
: are mutar, and is fired because the Rav haMachshir holds it is assur.

We're discussing a teshuvah which says as much. It's not an "e.g.",
it's the case under discussion.

: In which case the examples in your parenthetical comment would support
: the shochet, as they are examples of shochtim being accepted if they
: keep their own hanhagos rather than those of the hiring community.

They're examples of shochetim who keep their source community's hanhagos
rather than those of the hiring community. Presumably the teshuvah is
not discussing a MO shocheit shechting for a chassidishe shlachthoise
who continues to watch TV.

: If the shochet doesn't even keep the psak of his own Rav, that's a
: different issue.  I can't see how anyone could object to refusing to
: rely on such a person in that case.

Well, he could have chosen a meaningful other shitah, in which case
people who also follow that shitah might find the outcome non-intuitive.
But yeah, that's it -- he's a member of a community who doesn't follow
that community's rabbanim's pesaq.

Micha Berger             Here is the test to find whether your mission
micha at aishdas.org        on Earth is finished:
http://www.aishdas.org   if you're alive, it isn't.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Richard Bach