[Avodah] schechtworthy

Daniel Israel dmi1 at hushmail.com
Mon Mar 24 20:34:35 PDT 2008

Micha Berger wrote:
> In the historical case: A shocheit in Hungary whose wife didn't cover he
> hair was unusable, a Litvak in the same shoes was. (Barring complicating
> issues, like the Hungarians imported a Litvisher shocheit, etc... Much
> like the case RZS cited where the L community in Melbourne asked their
> rebbe about the cleanshaven German shocheit.)

Except that either I  misunderstood this whole thread, or your
"complicating issues" completely undermine your argument.

I've been assuming we're talking about someone who holds that, e.g., TVs
are mutar, and is fired because the Rav haMachshir holds it is assur.
In which case the examples in your parenthetical comment would support
the shochet, as they are examples of shochtim being accepted if they
keep their own hanhagos rather than those of the hiring community.

If the shochet doesn't even keep the psak of his own Rav, that's a
different issue.  I can't see how anyone could object to refusing to
rely on such a person in that case.

--
Daniel M. Israel
dmi1 at cornell.edu