[Avodah] daas torah & history [& O vs. C methodology]

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Mar 24 09:07:43 PDT 2008

On Thu, March 20, 2008 12:46 am, R Richard Wolpoe wrote:
: What I have added is that I have seen MANY Ortho responsa also abandon
: Halachic proces in favor of reaching ad conclusion and retrofitting
: the sources to fit, as opposed to honestly viewing sources.

Define "halachic process". Until you do that, how can you assert that
teshuvos do or do not abandon it?

This was my objection some months back... You are critiquing O fealty
to halachic process while at the same time saying you never saw a
clear definition of that process. Why not deduce the process from the
examples?

IOW, are contemporary acharonim overruling precedent (whether sefarim
or minhag) in ways that rishonim wouldn't? Overruling or force-fitting
texts isn't a violation of the process until you prove it's not part
of the process.

: I am also concern3ed that O abandonenmnet of [legitimate] Minhag Avos
: in favor of certain textualism as a VERY dangerous precedent at times.
: Yekum purkan and the yehi Ratzon [i.e Tefillas Rav] before birchas
: haschodesh [Aruch hshulchan jumps on this one, too!] are much more
: halachically problematic than Baruch Hashem l'olam!

Again, only if you don't have a notion of when minhag avos outweighs
textual argument... No, even that is phrased wrong. Not all minhagei
avos or sevaros are created equal. A poseiq not only has to have a
clear sense of the importance of precedent and of sevara in general,
but also the quality of each instance in their particular collisions.