[Avodah] daas torah & history [& O vs. C methodology]

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 19:30:41 PDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 8:28 AM, Michael Makovi <mikewinddale at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Example, AFAIK ZERO Reishonim prohibit women reading for Megillah
> onbehalf
> > of other woemn and Rashi/Rambam EVEn permit it for me. Many acharonim
> > changed this [see Beis Yosef and Magen Avrahm]
> > Kol Tuv / Best Regards,
> > RabbiRichWolpoe at Gmail.com
>
> Rabbi Henkin has an interesting article on this in Equality Lost (and
> Bnei Banim). I forget all the details, but he says something about how
> there are three shitot:
> 1) Women = men, b'klal

This is an explicit Rashi and Tosafos

> 2) Women have mitzvah to hear, and a lesser obligation than men to
> read. So women can read for each other, but not for men.
> 3) Women have only obligation to hear, and they cannot read even for other
> women
>
> I think number 3 is Tosefta, either 1 or 2 is the Talmud, and I forget
> what the other one is.

The Beis Yosef having seen Tosafos's defense of BEHAG frames R. Henkin's #3
as  #2. AFAIK NO RISHON  equates the Tosefta with #2 and AFAIK the Magen
Avrham is the first to make #3 the peshat in BEHAG/Tosefta as normative.

Surprisingly, RYDS seems to back up this MGA over the
Rambam/RAshi/Tosafos/BY etc.  Quite an anomaly to my mind.

This is the problem of a systme that says "IQ" trumps.   Since RYDS has a
higher IQ...therefore we should ignore Halachic history and toss out
Rishonim and start from scratch!

BTW, the BY [and FWIW Rema] tried to get away from an ego-centric system to
an objective survey the poskim methodology.   Both wer too humble to rule
solely on the basis of their own "gefeel" and relied upon precedent..

> So, Rabbi Henkin brings many sources (Rishonim on 1, Gaonim on 2, if I
> remember correctly). Then, he brings Tosafot and the Rosh who hold
> number 2. But they were misunderstood by many (including Korban
> Netanel and Mishna Berurah) to hold 3, but Tosafot haRosh (unavailabe
> to KN and MB) clearly and undoubtedly holds 2, so women can most
> definitely read for each other.
>
> A primary issue for some, between 2 and 3, was kavod tzibur....

Mikha'el Makovi

Just my opinion but WADR some people come up with Halachic kullos from left
field and this seems to be from Right Field!  Did Rashi/Tosafos/Rambam ALL
overlook this issue?
And what about Beis Yosef who frames it as hakkol moddim that #2 is a
minimum!

I don't like Radical shifts in Halchah from Left or Right because I see
Halacha as based upon a precedent type systems. I also see an issue of
zilzulei devei dina.

Now for academic purposes I don't have an issue if a sincere effort to read
BEHAG as 3 is supported by really good reason. But I would not overturn BY
on this basis.

Lemme give you an example of a radical  read:
Hilchesa ysavui ysavinan mevorchai lo mvarchinan [sp]

Traditional Read: one MUST sit in the Sukkah on Sehmin ATzeres in the Golah
BUT w/o a bracha.
Radical Read: one MAY sit in the sukka on Shmini Atzeres [optional] but
certainly a bracha is assur [probably due to bal tosef]

This argument MIGHT be used [and has been used] to defend a minhag of not
sitting in the sukkah  on ShAtz, but to introduce this as a brand new model
and run with it is  IMHO  radical shinuy.

Re-reading the Behag to be #3 after ALL Rishonim see the possible positions
as  between #1 and #2 to me is a shinuy.

--

see: http://nishmablog.blogspot.com/