[Avodah] R' Angel & Geirus Redux

Michael Makovi mikewinddale at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 19:06:43 PDT 2008

I previously said,
>"With all due respect to Reb Moshe, I find the idea laughable."

It was then said to me in a private message

> You wrote "With all due respect
>  to Reb Moshe, I find the idea laughable."
>  I was so bothered by this statement that I had to write. I think I have
>  seen you write that you are 20 years old, and have been religious for a
>  couple of years. Rav Moshe Feinstein was the Gadol hador. Along with the
>  Chazon Ish, he might be the greatest halachist of the last 100 years.
>  Anyone who can learn (by that I mean anyone who spent years in Yeshiva)
>  is literally astounded at the greatness of Igros Moshe. For you to write
>  something Rav Moshe wrote is laughable is horrifying. You should go to
>  Rav Moshe's kever and ask mechila. He is buried Yerushalayim (either in
>  Har Hamenuchos or Har Hazeisim). You need to have a little humility when
>  talking about Rav Moshe.
>  Kol tuv,

I responded,
>Oh $hit. I had already previously said, "With all respect to Reb Moshe, I
>honestly cannot understand these words (if I didn't have respect for
>Reb Moshe, believe you me, I'd use MUCH stronger terms)."

So lest there be any doubt, I completely retract my second utterance
("laughable"). I said I would have used much stronger terms, and
regrettably (VERY regrettably), I accidentally did - I wasn't even
aware I had said this. Believe you me, if I could withdraw this I
would.

Mikha'el Makovi