[Avodah] time of Purim Seudah

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 10:08:19 PDT 2008

REMT wrote:

However, there are drawbacks. One is the risk that being involved in a
meal, a family may lose track of the time, and neglect to light the
candles on time -- a problem which will be exacerbated if the family
is mehader in ad d'lo yada.  Another is that it requires going to shul
immediately after the s'udah for ma'ariv (assuming that there _is_ a
late minyan available), which many will probably not do, but will opt
for davening biychidus at home, since being full (and perhaps a bit in
one's cups) is not conducive to dressing for shul and taking the walk,
especially for those who find the singing of Shir Hama'alos on Friday
night the most effective sleeping pill.  A more mundane problem is
that it renders it difficult to invite guests for the s'udah who must
travel to get home.  Indeed, I suspect that these drawbacks are
largely responsible for the poreis mappah approach falling into disuse
by Ashk'nazim in the first place.>>

The shul I attended in madrid will get around the drawbacks by having
a public seudah in the shul building
Thus the rabbi will remind people to light candles. Kabbalat shabat is
part of the official program and they go straight to
davening section for Maariv. Furthermore the members get to eat together.

kol tuv

--
Eli Turkel