[Avodah] Dogma and kavana vs the objective deed

Yitzhak Grossman celejar at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 14:31:11 PDT 2008

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 14:58:02 +0200
"Michael Makovi" <mikewinddale at gmail.com> wrote:

> Chazal said that you should abstain from pork not because you hate it,
> but only because G-d said so. But can you imagine Chazal saying, "Do
> not say, 'I love to murder, steal, rape, pillage, but what can I do,
> for Avinu she'ba'shamayim has forbade it?'" I don't know about you,
> but I won't want to be on the shul committee with this guy!

This is exactly Rambam's view [0]:

<Quote>

... For [Hazal] have not said 'A man should not say "I do not wish to
kill a man, I do not wish to steal, I do not wish to deny", but rather
"I wish, but what shall I do, my Father in Heaven has adjured me"', but
they have cited exclusively "d'varim shimi'im": basar b'halav, wearing
sha'atnez, arayos.  And these and similar commandments are the ones
that God called 'hukos', ...

</Quote>

[0] Shmoneh Prakim 6

Yitzhak
--
Bein Din Ledin - bdl.freehostia.com
An advanced discussion of Hoshen Mishpat