[Avodah] R' Angel & Geirus Redux (Re: [Areivim] rabbi org)

Daniel Israel dmi1 at hushmail.com
Thu Mar 13 11:48:29 PDT 2008

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 09:05:46 -0600 Saul.Z.Newman at kp.org wrote:
>http://www.forward.com/articles/12864/  if  RCA  doesnt recognize
>YCT, liberal O sees need for new org... the beginning of a new
judaism
>branch?

I posted something about this to Areivim, but the article, which
mentions RMAngel and the possibility of creating a new network of
batei din, got me thinking.  Slightly tangential to the original
post, so I am renaming the thread and moving it to Avodah.

The SA (IIRC, I don't have it here in front of me) describes the
chinuch associated with geirus in a way that sounds pretty minimal,
which is the basis for R' Angel's shita.  However, it seems to me
that there is no independent requirement for a person to learn for
geirus: the requirement is a consequence of two other issues.
First, a person can't be m'kabel ol mitzvos without a basic
understanding of what the mitzvos are.  Second, as a matter of lo
siten michshol, we shouldn't be m'gayir a person before he knows
enough to be shomer mitzvos.

The simple version of my question is whether the objection that has
been raised against RMA is regarding the first or the second.  I
definitely hear the second, but as far as the first, the suggestion
that that is exactly p'shat in the SA seems pretty compelling.
(That is, the SA is indeed describing a process much less stringent
than what we do today, as RMA suggests, but he is simply telling us
the minimum chinuch before we can rely on the person to be m'kabel
ol mitzvos; he isn't teaching us policy as far as what the person
needs to be taught.)  If that analysis is right, then the argument
is a policy one, which shouldn't have any effect to pasul a geirus
b'deivad.

After all, the reason why this is not simply one more area where
the RW and LW just hold by different shitos is because of the long
term implications.

If this is not the issue, that is, if there are those who are
suggesting that a geirus in the format suggested by RMA is actually
posul, what is the basis?  Are they suggesting that we can't rely
on a beis din that takes such an approach?  That seems untenable,
as we are undeniably taking about talmidei chachamim and shomrei
mitzvos.  Or are they objecting that there is no real kabbalas ol
mitzvos without a much more stringent learning program?

--
Daniel M. Israel
dmi1 at cornell.edu