[Avodah] Sefer HaChinuch on why 2 weeks Nidah for a girland only 1

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Mar 10 17:57:40 PDT 2008

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 10:48:01PM -0500, Michael Poppers wrote:
: In Avodah Digest V25#71, R'Micha responded to CRW:
:>> That's not the reason that I teach.  A boy is one week and the reason
:>> for 2 weeks for a girl baby is because of the potential life that girl will
:>> eventually give birth to.  Hence, the extra week is added for the girl.

:> A coomon theme in Tazria (Ki Sazria?) issues of parashah sheets...
:> If anyone saw a primary source, I would appreciate the mar'eh maqom.

: and R'Micha then talks about RSRH.  Well, see RSRH on 3-12:4&5, last
: paragraph, re the shvua'yim.

RSRH doesn't use this idea, but a slight variant of it.

He insists there is a connection to milah, since the chumash interrupts
the discussion of tum'ah to mention milah. RSRH says that boys have a
lesser task of willfull submission (pretty much his definition of avdus,
although he doesn't use the word here). Thus, having a simple symbol
is sufficient. Women, however, have a much harder task, and the mother
requires more preparation before training her daughter for this role.

IOW, it's not about loss of potential, it's about having a greater lesson
to learn. Kedarko beqodesh.

Micha Berger             "'When Adar enters, we increase our joy'
micha at aishdas.org         'Joy is nothing but Torah.'
http://www.aishdas.org    'And whoever does more, he is praiseworthy.'"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rav Dovid Lifshitz zt"l