[Avodah] Jewish Music

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Mar 3 07:15:13 PST 2008

On Mon, March 3, 2008 9:36 am, R David Eisen wrote:
: I heard the following story from R. Aharon Adler of Ramot A':
: RYDS was asked by a talmid who engaged in karate if it was permissible
: to perform the customary kowtow before one's fellow combatant at the
: beginning of each match. He paskened that it is assur and proceeded to
: explain that the reason it is assur is because this is "shtupid," and
: anything that is "shtupid" is assur!

In Nefesh haRav, the story is retold with the word "stupid"
transliterated (with a samech) into Hebrew letters. And what was
"stupid" was bowing to the mat. (Remembering that one's opponent is a
human who deserves respect may well be critical for an ehrlecher Jew
before practicing a martial art.) In any case, the story is well known
and its implications well accepted among his students.

Doesn't say much, though, for people who aren't RYBS's students.

After all, RYBS doesn't explain why bowing to a mat is stupid, but
showing respect to a loaf of bread isn't. Our symbolism is holier, is
informed by mesorah and all that, but how does that make theirs
"stupider"? Both are excercises in learning hakaras hatov (despite the
insentience of the "meitiv").

SheTir'u baTov!
-micha