[Avodah] Roast lamb

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Feb 29 03:32:40 PST 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 11:35:46PM -0500, Richard Wolpoe wrote:
:>> Roasting in a pot is not halachically roasting at all in Yorei Dei'ah
:>> even w/o any added water. [the meat will ooze its juices soon enough].

:> Any source earlier than the Magen Avraham on this?  Anyone [asidee from
:> Sephardim] that do not buy into this Chumra?

: Yep there is another source

: The Aruch hashulchan. I saw it today and Baruch Hashem he was mechaven to my
: point!  <big smile!>
: All kidding aside, it is sometimes a wonder why a good sevara needs a
: Gadol?  Whatever happend to al tistakel bekankan ella...!

Actually, I don't think the quote is appropriate. Al tistaqeil isn't
about the quality of the thought, but not judging the quality of the
thinker by his chitzoniyus.

But it's nothing new to want to base practice on the most Torah-emersed
sources. Teshuvos frequently bow to the greatness of other rabbanim.(Even
if it seems to usually be to explain how their sevara doesn't apply to
the case in question.)

A question being discussed in another thread is how seriously to take
this idea when proposing new answers to old *machashavah* questions.
Such as HQBH having emotions. (Phrased this way, my personal answer
is: when contradicting, a great deal. When innovating new or already
conflicted territory, not so much.)

But within the realm of halakhah, I thought it was pretty uncontraversial
that the authority of an idea must take into account not only conscious
reasoning but immersion in the Torah weltenschaung, and thus must be
weighed *including* the stature of the speaker (not A or B, both). As
we can't hope to skip up the ladder in order to assess the disputant's
weltenschung, this means assigning some measure of blind authority.
As something to be weighed (to tie it into that debate) when making a
halachic decision.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             The mind is a wonderful organ
micha at aishdas.org        for justifying decisions
http://www.aishdas.org   the heart already reached.
Fax: (270) 514-1507