[Avodah] Love the ger - who?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Feb 22 14:04:02 PST 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 01:16:50AM +0200, Michael Makovi wrote:
: Now then, the question I have is, does anyone say that "ger"
: halachically includes ger toshav? ...

I think this question has an answer WRT ve'ahavtem es hageir. But I do not
think there is a single answer for kol haTorah kulah. WRT qorban pesach,
the geir who can partake is gemalt, ie a geir tzedeq. OTOH, WRT melekhes
Shabbos, "lo sa'aseh kol melakhah ... vegeirkha asher bish'arekha" can
only be the geir Toshav, since "chuqah achas tihyeh lakhem" alreaded
folded the geir tzedeq into the meaning of "atah".

I think for every instance of the word, you need to consult context and
TSBP to determine the connotation in each instance.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             Mussar is like oil put in water,
micha at aishdas.org        eventually it will rise to the top.
http://www.aishdas.org                    - Rabbi Israel Salanter
Fax: (270) 514-1507