[Avodah] Love the ger - who?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Feb 22 02:48:59 PST 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:40:20AM +0200, saul mashbaum wrote:
: I find this comment intriguing. Apparently RZS believes that Rashi
: wrote his commentary on the Torah specifically for small children. I
: certainly don't believe that this is the case, and wonder what led RZS
: to this conclusion.

RMMS wrote and said on multiple occasions that Rashi was written with the
notion that a 5 year old, as in "ben chameish lemiqra" could be aided
in understanding the parashah at his level. I don't think the LR meant
that it was specifically written for that 5 yr old as much as written
to intentionally include him.

RZS is likely to hold RMMS's opinion for the same reason he frequently
quotes SA haRav.

I have a harder time with the notion. The best I could come up with is
that Rashi didn't realize how much brighter he and his children were at
5 than the common person.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             A person lives with himself for seventy years,
micha at aishdas.org        and after it is all over, he still does not
http://www.aishdas.org   know himself.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            - Rav Yisrael Salanter