[Avodah] Simchah and Oneg

Jonathan Baker jjbaker at panix.com
Fri Feb 22 07:37:59 PST 2008

From: Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org>

> On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 12:34:16AM -0500, Jesse Abelman wrote:
> :     Why do you say that Simcha "has a codified non-subjective definition?"

Because it is my father amu"sh, while OneG is an acceleration of
about 32.2 ft/s^2?

But seriously, folks...

> Only because of the point to which I was responding: the chiyuv of meat
> on Yom Tov (whether including chullin, only including it derabbanan or not
> at all) phrased as simchas YT that doesn't have a parallel for Shabbos.

> And in benching, if someone forgets Yaaleh veYavo, they say "Barukh
> shenasan YT ... lesimchah". Same formula for regalim as for RH, perhaps
> implying that we hold like the Rambam lehalakhah, and thus basar bizman
> hazeh is deOraisa?

Gotta agree with Zev here.  Just checked Baer's siddur, b/c quite medakdek
in texts, and it has "Baruch... asher natan yamim tovim leamo yisrael et
yom hazikaron hazeh:"  That's it.  No simcha, unlike other YTs.  The Siddur
of the baal hatanya adds a closing of BAY mekadesh yisrael veyom hazikaron.

--
        name: jon baker              web: http://www.panix.com/~jjbaker
     address: jjbaker at panix.com     blog: http://thanbook.blogspot.com