[Avodah] Pre-Sinaitic conversions

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Fri Feb 22 05:57:28 PST 2008

Daniel Eidensohn wrote:
>  "Rashi's intended five-year-old audience might well wonder what our ancestors converted to in Egypt,"
>
> There are many sources that conversion took place prior to Sinai.
>

> *Sukka[1] <#_ftn1>(49b /Chagiga 3a): *Tehilim (47:10): The princes of
> the people are gathered together, the people of the G‑d of Avraham. Why
> does it say the G‑d of Avraham but not the G‑d of Yitzchok and Yaakov?
> It means the G‑d of Avraham who was the first of gerim.

That happened well before Egypt.  As the cited piece says, Yitzchak
and Yaacov were not gerim, let alone our ancestors in Egypt.  So the
ben-chamesh is still left wondering, which is why Rashi must tell him
the literal meaning of the word "ger", and therefore that the pasuk
is engaging in a bit of word play.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.