[Avodah] Apocrypha

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 11:55:21 PST 2008

On Feb 9, 2008 11:06 PM, Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:

> I mean it's simply not a source or proof of something. Quoting Apocrypha
> tells me nothing about Torah I don't insert through my assessment of
> the text using Torah I already know. Of interest to historians, but off
> topic for talmud Torah.
>
> Gut Voch!
> -Micha

Totally tangential:
During debates about how the mizbeaych was placed in the Mikdash or how high
was teh mizbeyahc etc. the various Tanna'im cite P'sukkim proving their
cases.

Question: wouldn't the reality f the Midkdahs itself be the single best raya
for how it looked?  Would  anyone think that a disputed drashsa would trump
the reality of the Miazbeyahc prior to year 70?

Why didn't Tannaim - who lived just  70-100  years after teh Hurban simply
cite Masorah from eyewithness?  Was their no insitutional memory of how the
Mikdash looked within 100 Years?
Or were those memories inherently inferior to a drasha - even a disputed
one?

--
Kol Tuv / Best Regards,
RabbiRichWolpoe at Gmail.com