[Avodah] Rabbiner Hirsch and the Mishna Brura

Michael Makovi mikewinddale at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 10:52:02 PST 2008

> My point is that Rav Hirsch would NOT have "seen the publication of the Mishna Berurah on OC alone." He would have seen ALL the seforim which the Chofetz Chayim wrote.
>
> Akiva Miller

Good point. But the fact remains that the Mishna Berurah itself is on
OC alone, a fact which I think Rav Hirsch would have protested.

But come to think of it, I have an objection to what I have said: The
Chofetz Chaim spent some 20 years or so writing the MB (if I remember
correctly), so I cannot imagine that Rav Hirsch would have been
critical of the CC himself and demanded he spend another 60 years on
the other three parts of the SA.

Rather, Rav Hirsch would have demanded that people study the rest of
the SA besides OC, even without an MB thereon. (Or perhaps he'd tell
everyone to study the Aruch haShulchan instead. I don't know.)

Mikha'el Makovi