[Avodah] Rabbiner Hirsch and the Mishna Brura

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Tue Feb 5 05:23:40 PST 2008

R' Richard Wolpoe wrote in NishmaBlog, and it was quoted on Avodah by R' Michael Makovi:

> While the Mishna Brura pointedly commented on ONLY Orach
> Haim because he felt that this was the primary legal text
> for Jewish People [see hakdamah to the Mishna Brura.] [2]

The Hakdama to the MB is two pages long, so I went to the NishmaBlog, hoping that footnote "[2]" would point to the part of the hakdama where he makes such a comment. Unfortunately, that footnote does not show me where he said that.

The Hakdama to the MB is on the longish side. From what I could tell, he wrote a lot about the importance of practical halacha, but I did not see any place where he gave a primacy to Orach Chaim over other areas of practical halacha.

Granted that the Mishne Brurah is on Orach Chayim and not on anything else, but don't forget the many other seforim which the Chofetz Chaim wrote: Ahavas Chesed on lending money, Likutei Halachos (5 volumes) on korbanos. And of course, remember that "Chofetz Chayim" is not the name of the author - it's the name of his first sefer!

R' Michael Makovi commented:
> Rav Hirsch of course lived before the Chofetz Chaim. I
> can only wonder what would have happened had he seen the
> publication of the Mishna Berurah on OC alone.

My point is that Rav Hirsch would NOT have "seen the publication of the Mishna Berurah on OC alone." He would have seen ALL the seforim which the Chofetz Chayim wrote.

Akiva Miller