[Avodah] pitum haketores

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Tue Feb 5 02:12:24 PST 2008

I am Litvak enough to have a personal frustration with the current trend
toward segulah-ism. People spending more attention to Pereq Shirah,
saying Pitum haQetores from a kelaf (a segulah for parnasah), getting
pesichah to insure a wife's easy delivery, etc... than in shoring up
performance of mitzvos.

Rather than looking to mitzvos and yir'as hacheit, or even looking at
yir'as ha'onesh vs sechar, it's al menas leqbeil peras. Not sechar,
meriting siyata diShmaya, but peras. It's all so magickal.

One might wonder if this is part of a more secular trend towards the
need for instant gratification/direct control of one's destiny (e.g.
give me a pill, don't tell me to live a healthier lifestyle)

KT
Joel Rich
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.