[Avodah] Terumah "From Copper to Silver to Gold"

Richard Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Sat Feb 2 15:43:30 PST 2008

The outer courtyard had copper bases with silver hooks. In the
courtyard the altar and basin are made of copper. The walls of the
inner sanctuary are gold on silver bases, and inside the sanctuary
everything is gold. Lesson: As one comes closer to God, there is a
progression from the copper to the silver to the gold.

As I see it, when we are born we're on the outer courtyard and with
some mazel, we have a good enough base and foundation to bring us to
'copper.'  Next, with the proper training and sincerity we reach the
walls of the inner sanctuary, bringing us to the 'silver' level of our
sacred lives. Finally, when that fateful day arrives and we leave this
world, we hopefully, will have made it to inside the sanctuary, having
successfully progressed ultimately to the 'gold' and full potential of
our souls.

We then will have arrived as close to God as possible, experiencing
true Divine bliss.

ri