[Avodah] Post super bowl question

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Feb 4 12:53:52 PST 2008

On Mon, February 4, 2008 2:20 pm, R Michael Makovi wrote:
:                                ... If football counts as refined art
: and culture, then here we have our answer...

This is a recurring theme in the hashkafah debates at MTA between RYGB
and R' Schiller.

Listen to:
<http://schiller.bechhofer.googlepages.com/avodashashemvii.mp3>

In short, RYGB doesn't believe that RSRH's TIDE could possibly include
sports. DE is high culture. DE can be measured by whether the masses
who attend are led to refined behavior. Compare how people act at a
rock concert and at a classical one.

R' Schiller extols the beauty of a well played game, and that too is
an ability granted by the borei. (He calls RYGB "tone deaf" WRT the
beauty of sports.) As for the lack of refinement of sports game
attendees, that's cultural, and not inherent in attending sports.
Cited counter-examples of behavior he witnessed as a child at West
Point games, or at cricket matches of an earlier era. The poor
behavior is brought to the event, not caused by it.

See also
<http://rygb.blogspot.com/2008/02/fron-this-week-jewish-press.html>,
an article by R' Joseph Schick in the Jewish Press. The dispute is
quoted, as are a number of other former regulars here.

SheTir'u baTov!
-micha

--
Micha Berger             One who kills his inclination is as though he
micha at aishdas.org        brought an offering. But to bring an offering,