[Avodah] Post super bowl question

Michael Makovi mikewinddale at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 11:20:32 PST 2008

> Has anyone heard of any hashkafic/philosophical insights/lessons as to
> why HKB"H created the world in a manner that (iiuc) human beings
> require/appreciate forms of relaxation/entertainment?
>
> KT
> Joel Rich

Rav Hirsch to the end of Noach (about Yafet dwelling in the tents of
Shem; and also in one of his Chanuka essays in Collected Writings and
Judaism Eternal) talks about how man first needs the culture and
beauty of Yafet and then the G-dliness and spirituality of Shem (cf.
towards the end of parshat Bereshit, on the turning sword and the
cherubim guarding the garden, where he cites Tanna debe Eliyahu that
derech eretz must precede Torah), If football counts as refined art
and culture, then here we have our answer...

Mikha'el Makovi