[Avodah] Shekalim

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Sun Feb 3 12:37:56 PST 2008

Galsaba at aol.com wrote:
> For next week Parashat Shekalim, how much I need to give?
> I heard that in some shules they use a silver coin, some give about $5?
> Is there a "fixed rate" for waht I need to give for Machatzit Hashekel?

There's a minhag to give a half-shekel for Parshat Shekalim?  In which
communities does this minhag exist?  Or are you anticipating Taanit Esther?

For Taanit Esther, AFAIK everyone agrees that one gives (some multiple
of) a half of the local unit of currency, especially if there is a coin
with the name "half".  In Australia, where there is no coin with the
name "half", AFAIK most people give 50c coins, but some buy foreign
coins with such a name (such as a USA half-dollar) from tzedaka and then
give them back.

At any rate, I've never heard of a requirement that this symbolic
donation have a specific value in real terms.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.