[Avodah] Binfol oyivkha al tismach?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jan 28 10:28:32 PST 2008

On Mon, January 28, 2008 12:19 pm, Zev Sero wrote:
: If you check the archives you'll find that we've been over this a
: time or two.  But let me just say that "pouring makkos" has *nothing*
: to do with "mourning" for the Mitzrim y"sh.  That is a silly modern
: explanation that has no source....

Wow! Three plus months of debate, and you left it with the same
cocksuredness with which you entered.

1- You make it sound like "pouring makos" is the primary issue. Not
Chatzi Hallel on the 22nd of Nissan, or binfol oyivkha itself.

2- There are sources for "pouring makos" being related to their tza'ar
having to be mixed in to our joy. RYEliashiv and RSZAurbach don't
simply give out "silly modern explanations".

Bottom line, the lack of full Hallel on the anniversary of qerias Yam
Suf is connected to the death of the mitzriyim by at least one tanna,
numerous rishonim (including the Beis Yoseif), and carried through and
accepted by a large trail of mesorah until today.

The notion that you can't simply dismiss the tragic cost necessary to
accomplish HQBH's goal isn't modern liberalism.

To add something new to the discussion.... RAEK has an essay "Shetayim
sheheim Achas", about the unity of "Ashrei yoshevei veisakha" or
"Ashrei temimei derekh" OT1H, and "Ashrei sheyocheiz venipeitz
olelayikh..." (Teh' 137:9) on the other.

SheTir'u baTov!
-micha

--
Micha Berger             One who kills his inclination is as though he
micha at aishdas.org        brought an offering. But to bring an offering,