[Avodah] [Areivim] Binfol oyvekha al tismach?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon Jan 28 09:19:03 PST 2008

Michael Makovi wrote:

> But then why do we take ten drops of wine out on Pesach, and sing only
> half-Hallel on the last day of Pesach? If we are allowed to rejoice
> over the death of a gentile oiyev, why do we mourn on this last day?
> We ought to have unmitigated joy!

If you check the archives you'll find that we've been over this a
time or two.  But let me just say that "pouring makkos" has *nothing*
to do with "mourning" for the Mitzrim y"sh.  That is a silly modern
explanation that has no source.  You will find various reasons if you
look, but not this one.  See, e.g. the Alter Rebbe's siddur for an
explanation in kabbalistic terms that translates without much effort
into one that can be easily understood by everyone.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.