[Avodah] Is spam kosher?

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Sun Jan 27 11:34:54 PST 2008

In a message dated 1/27/2008 ben1456 at smile.net.il writes:

>>Without getting into the question of issur or muttar, the  example
that you give above is NOT spam in any sense what so ever. See
http://www.spamhaus.org/definition.html. The people in your address
book presumably want, appreciate, or at least permit you to send them
material. Therefore it is not spam.

I will note that since ISPs  forbid sending spam, anyone doing so is
abusing his  contract.<<

To some degree, spam is in the eye of the beholder.  AOL puts a lot of  stuff
in my spam folder but when I go there, it gives me the option to  select any
letter and click, "This is not spam."  It's spam if I say so and  it's not
spam if I say so.  Wow, what a lot of power I have!  But  getting back to the
question of whether it's assur to send spam -- as I said  before, I don't see the
grounds to say it's assur.  Maybe  "ona'ah"?   Is there a general prohibition
against annoying  people?

--Toby Katz
Romney  -- good values, good family, good hair
Best hope against  Hillary