[Avodah] Is spam kosher?

Ben Waxman ben1456 at smile.net.il
Sun Jan 27 09:52:13 PST 2008

> From Rbn TK:
>
>On what grounds would it be ossur?  What if I send something that I
>personally find interesting to fifteen people, and several of them
>consider it a
>waste of time while the others enjoy it -- on what grounds would
>that be assur  to
>do, or might it only become a question in your mind if my cc list had  fifty
>people instead of fifteen?

Without getting into the question of issur or muttar, the example
that you give above is NOT spam in any sense what so ever. See
http://www.spamhaus.org/definition.html. The people in your address
book presumably want, appreciate, or at least permit you to send them
material. Therefore it is not spam.

I will note that since ISPs forbid sending spam, anyone doing so is
abusing his contract.

Ben