[Avodah] assisted suicide

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Sun Jan 27 05:54:45 PST 2008

I wrote:
> In contrast, when one does an act, he is essentially forcing Hashem's
> hand, because Hashem's only choices will be between having the person
> die, or doing a miracle of some sort.

R' Joel Rich asked:
> Any more "miraculous" then someone dieing earlier than he should have
> due to prayer?  What if the physician set a machine in motion that had

> a 50/50 chance of killing the patient and said now it's up to Hashem?

I don't understand that question. A person's death is *always* in
Hashem's ability. If the physician sets up a 50/50 machine, that doesn't
really change much at all (except our ability to call the physician
"reckless"). My point is that when a person does a real act (like
turning off a respirator, or some violence with a weapon) that pretty
much *forces* Hashem to have the person die.

Akiva Miller
My point was that forcing hashem's hand is a relative statement-prayer
may be as much a force as increasing the probability in other ways (e.g.
a gun can always misfire and people won't say it's a nes)
KT
Joel Rich

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.