[Avodah] What would a Torah government look like

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Jan 24 15:00:53 PST 2008

Shmuel Weidberg wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2008 12:19 PM, Ben Waxman <ben1456 at smile.net.il> wrote:
>> A Rosh Yeshiva (who shall remain nameless) once told me that having
>> everyone become frum would be the greatest disaster imaginable for
>> the yeshivot. At that point, there would not be any excuses for
>> khareidim to continue in yeshivot ad infinitum.
>
> I think when everybody becomes frum and learns all day, then the
> yissachar zevulun relationship will become they Yaakov Esav
> relationship as it was supposed to be. Eisav will work and support
> Yaakov so that all of klal yisroel can learn torah.

Well, certainly in the Future, we are told that "ve'amdu zarim vera'u
tzonchem".  But we don't need to go there.  The idea that everybody
must be in yeshivah full time has almost no support outside EY, and
in EY it's almost entirely driven by conscription and the laws
surrounding that.  If there were no conscription, or alternatively
if the whole army had conditions similar to the Nahal Haredi, we
would quickly see the everybody-in-yeshivah-for-life shita shrink
to the same negligible size that it has in chu"l.  Those not suited
for full-time learning would leave and get jobs (possibly after army
service) and support the learners.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.