[Avodah] Love of gerim for each other

Michael Makovi mikewinddale at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 09:14:28 PST 2008

> There is a cryptic statement in Pesachim regarding the love of gerim for
> each other. Can't find any commentary. Suggestions would be appreciated
>
> *
> *
>
> *Pesachim[1] <#_ftn1>(113b): *Our Rabbis taught: There are three who
> love each other. They are gerim, slaves and ravens.

The ger part and the slave part is simple. The raven part I don't understand.

Gerim and slaves: a person loves those in the same situation as
himself. A fellow ger (or BT, or whatever) knows what his fellow is
going through. It makes sense that slaves would likewise have empathy
for each other.

As for ravens, I'm going to guess that somewhere else in the Gemara,
ravens are famous for something, or maybe ravens were part of some
sort of popular folktale or proverb back then, or something similar,
that would explain why ravens love each other more than do hippos or
kangaroos.

Mikha'el Makovi