[Avodah] The letter ayyin

Michael Makovi mikewinddale at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 04:21:16 PST 2008

> I've found the best way to pronounce the ayin according to whichever
> custom it is that I'm following, is to practice making a gulp sound
> like you're drinking, or a deep-throated gobble like a turkey. You
> should feel your Adam's apple bob and your epiglottis open and close.
> Then say "ayin" while making this epiglottal sound, but make the
> epiglottal element not so strong. It should sound something like
> "gayin", which the g being half pronounced and half inchoate. Which
> seems right, considering that the Greeks transliterated "Amora" as
> "Gamora".
>
> Mikha'el Makovi

Oh, and to make a het, make it halfway between a hay and a chet. The
best way I've found, is to blow air across your palate, as if you're
wearing an orthodontic retainer and have food stuck between it and the
palate; to dislodge the food, I used to force air into that area. The
end result should sound something like a cat hissing, except not quite
so strong. It should thus be stronger than a fully aired hay, but not
as strong as a totally unaired chet.

Mikha'el Makovi