[Avodah] The letter ayyin

Michael Makovi mikewinddale at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 04:18:16 PST 2008

I've found the best way to pronounce the ayin according to whichever
custom it is that I'm following, is to practice making a gulp sound
like you're drinking, or a deep-throated gobble like a turkey. You
should feel your Adam's apple bob and your epiglottis open and close.
Then say "ayin" while making this epiglottal sound, but make the
epiglottal element not so strong. It should sound something like
"gayin", which the g being half pronounced and half inchoate. Which
seems right, considering that the Greeks transliterated "Amora" as
"Gamora".

Mikha'el Makovi