[Avodah] Accent on the Right Syllable in Krias Shema

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 21:00:22 PST 2008

On Jan 9, 2008 4:54 PM, Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:

> What makes an element of havarah authoritative vs being an error?
> Sepharad lumps tav and sav, folds together many of the tenu'os,
> Ashkenaz has problems with ayin and ches (although I would argue that
> the lack of ayin has to post-date the nickname "Yankl"), etc... Is it
> possible that Ashkenazi norm not to be careful on mile'eil vs milera
> is similar? That baAH vs BAah is as validly/invalidly ambiguous as
> "ach" vs "akh"?
>
> SheTir'u baTov!
> -micha
>
> --
> Micha Berger

Agreed the Rema's silence re: the Ayyin bespeaks that there used to be an
Ashkneazic Ayyin. I have been trying to reconstruct it somehow for many
years.

Dutch Sephardim did the Ayin like the French ng [as in Filet MIgnon]  or the
Spanish n with a ~ on top [e.g. manana]

I am guessing that the Westernized Ashkanzim had a  simlar Ayyin,  like the
ni in Onion

--
Kol Tuv / Best Regards,
RabbiRichWolpoe at Gmail.com