[Avodah] Accent on the Right Syllable in Krias Shema

Michael Elzufon Michael at arnon.co.il
Thu Jan 10 03:46:23 PST 2008

R'MB wrote:

What makes an element of havarah authoritative vs being an error?
Sepharad lumps tav and sav, folds together many of the tenu'os,
Ashkenaz has problems with ayin and ches (although I would argue that
the lack of ayin has to post-date the nickname "Yankl"), etc... Is it
possible that Ashkenazi norm not to be careful on mile'eil vs milera
is similar? That baAH vs BAah is as validly/invalidly ambiguous as
"ach" vs "akh"?

[[MJE]] Perhaps, but I would argue that it is nothing more than a
Yiddish-speaking corruption.  Over here (in Eretz Israel), even
Ashkenazi baalei kriah are very careful about placement of accents.
This includes native Yiddish-speakers.