[Avodah] "Sometimes Chutzpah is Praiseworthy"

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jan 9 16:53:31 PST 2008

On Tue, January 1, 2008 10:08 am, T613K at aol.com wrote:
: One thinks of the medrash about Hashem Himself laughing and saying
: "Nitzchuni banai" about -- I don't remember what.  But He wasn't angry
: when  His
: children "bested" Him in an argument, He was pleased.  There is
: unacceptable and
: acceptable chutzpa.  You really do have to look at the  whole picture.

Not a medrash, a gemara. Tanur shel achnai. I quote the gemara at
<http://www.aishdas.org/asp/2005/01/legislative-authority-of-bas-qol.shtml>,
first paragraph.

It's not clearly about chutzpah, though. It's about listening to HQBH
when He gave us a halachic process and acharei rabim lehatos, about lo
bashamayim hi meaning that nissim don't override that process.

And even that's not necessarily so -- many rishonim do not take HQBH's
defense of RE to be a statement about the tum'ah of the tanur! (See
the blog entry.)

SheTir'u baTov!
-micha

--
Micha Berger             One who kills his inclination is as though he
micha at aishdas.org        brought an offering. But to bring an offering,